The Netherlands has 7 islands, all lying in an arch surrounding the northern provinces Friesland and Groningen. The largest island is located most near to our city: Texel (pronounced as Tessel). The islands and Waddenzee are protected by UNESCO.
why visit Texel island
To escape city life and get some fresh air!
what to do
- Walking, biking or horse-back riding through undisrupted nature - there’s 135km of biking lanes over the dikes, through the dunes with views of the Waddenzee. Bars and terraces are located nearby the lanes for a refreshment.
- Visit one of the 8 (small) museums. Particularly recommended are the ‘culture historic museum’, the Ecomare to watch the seals, and the “lost & found on the shore” museums Kaap Skil or Shipwreck & Juttermuseum Flora.
- For the adventurous people: ATB through the woods, (kite) surfing, sailing, parachute jumping, etc.
- Visit the Lighthouse for stunning views.
- Chill on the beach and stroll through the little towns.
The last ferry leaves from the island at 21h. There are campings, B&B’s, hotels and holiday homes, of which some include horse and stable! The only wellness hotel on the island is the 4-star Grand Hotel op Duin (as of E150 per night).
how to get there
1. drive to Den Helder, 100 km north of Amsterdam.
2. take the ferry to the island (20 minutes, free wifi, E2.50pp two-way ticket). The ferry leaves once an hour (6h30/7h30/etc till 21h30).
More information about Texel: tourist office Texel